Saturday, May 05, 2012

The Unexpected

As a missionary you must be ready for the unexpected. This is from the same companionship on the same day.

“So, the other day my companion and I were waiting for the bus when a Honduran lady got off and started to talk to us. She was surprised that we spoke Spanish, so we explained to her why, and had a short conversation. Out of the blue, she says, "Can you guys get married?" We were a little taken back at that, but we replied yes, we can get married but we have to wait till after the mission. "And how much longer do you have?" she proceeded to ask. My companion told her that he's got 15 months left and I've got a year. "Ok. Well, the thing is that I need someone to marry my sister, so that she can get her papers. We would be willing to pay you." We were shocked, and I had to hold back a startled laugh. She was asking us to marry her sister!! hahaha. She exchanged phone numbers with us, and said to call her. We're going to see if we can try to teach her instead of marrying her sister. hahaha.

“One day too, we were on the bus headed to an appointment and were standing next to a guy in a wheelchair. We were talking quietly and then stopped. My companion started to whistle quietly one of the hymns, and hadn't been whistling for more than 5 seconds when the man in the wheelchair exploded. He used every swear word in the book, I think; telling my companion that he can talk to me, but he can't whistle. "There's no dogs here! Take that back to the hills, or wherever you're from!" Those are some examples of the things he said, but of course the edited version. My companion was the better man and tried to kindly explain to the man that he should just ask and not get so angry. Nothing happened after that; we arrived to our destination safely and had a good evening.”

No comments: